THE RA LAW ON SERVICE IN POLICE
POSITIONS AND RANKS IN POLICE
Article 4. POSITIONS’ GROUPS IN POLICE
1. Positions in Police are classified into the following groups:
1) The highest positions in Police
- The Head of the State Administration Authority,
- The Commander of the Police Troops of the Republic of Armenia,
- The Deputy Head of the State Administration Authority,
- The Head of the General Investigation Department.
2) The high positions of Police:
- The head of the Headquarters, including the Head of Yerevan city Police Department,
- Deputy Head of the Headquarters,
- The Head of the Department, including the Head of the Regional Department,
- Deputy Head of the Department,
- The Head of the Division.
3) The senior positions of Police:
- The Deputy Head of Division,
- The Head of the Unit.
4) The average positions of Police:
- The Deputy Head of the Unit,
- Senior inspector for special importance cases, senior investigator of special importance cases, senior detective of special importance cases,
- Senior inspector, senior investigator, senior detective,
- Inspector, investigator, detective.
5) Junior group positions of Police:
- Junior inspector,
- Senior police officer,
- Police officer.
2. The Government of the Republic of Armenia defines the list of positions, equaling Police positions.
(4-th Article, edited on 14.12.04 RALaw-131-P, supplemented on 13.11.07 RALaw-251-P, amended on 22.05.08 ՀՕ-45-Ն)
Article 5. THE RANKS OF POLICE
1. The ranks of Police are classified into the following groups:
1) The highest ranks of Police:
- Police Colonel-General,
- Police Lieutenant-General,
- Police Major-General.
2) The high ranks of Police:
- Police Colonel,
(The line was removed on 14.12.04 RA Laws-131-P)
3) The senior rank in Police:
- Lieutenant Police Colonel.
31) The mid-ranks of Police:
- Police Major,
- Police Captain,
- Senior Police Lieutenant,
- Police Lieutenant,
- Junior Police Lieutenant.
4) The junior ranks of Police:
- Senior Police Warrant Officer,
- Warrant Officer Police,
- Police Sergeant,
- Senior Police Sergeant,
- Police Sergeant,
- Junior Police Sergeant.
2. The highest ranks in Police are conferred by the President of the Republic of Armenia.
3. The high, senior and mid-ranks of Police are conferred by the Head of the State Administration Authority, and the junior ranks are conferred by the person, who has the authority of assigning an employee to a respective position in Police.
4. The ranks of Police are conferred in a sequence order, respective to the Police rank, envisaged for that post title, within 15 days period after the defined term, except for cases, envisaged by the Law. The students, post-graduate students, doctoral candidates, studying in the Republic of Armenia or sent for resident instruction at foreign countries’ educational institutions, are conferred the ranks, respective to the positions they occupied before their studies.
41. The employees of Police, sent on mission to other state authorities, or to the international organizations, according to the order, defined by international treaties, are conferred their ranks respective to the positions they were occupying before being sent on mission.
A Police employee, sent on mission to Police (Military) organizations to the higher position, confreres his next rank respective to the position, occupied in the current organization.
5. Police ranks are conferred by an individual order, for life.
6. The word “retired” is added to the rank of the Police employee, who discontinued the service.
7. In case a Police employee, as well as persons, stipulated by Part Six of this Article, is convicted for grave or gravest crime, they may be deprived of their rank respective to order, stipulated by Law.
(The Article 5 was amended, edited and supplemented on 14.12.04 RA Law-131-P, amended on 24.10.06 RA Law-169-P)
Article 6. POLICE RANKS, RESPECTIVE TO POLICE POSTITIONS GROUPS
1. The upper limit, respective to the highest positions of Police, is the rank Police Colonel-General.
2. (The 2-nd part is considered void on 14.12.04 RA Laws-131-P)
3. The upper limit, respective to the medium positions of Police, is the rank Police Major.
4. The upper limit, respective to the junior positions of Police, is the rank Senior Police Warrant Officer.
5. The rank, corresponding to a specific position of Police is defined by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
6. As defined by the Police system, for the Heads of General Departments, the Heads, occupying same status positions, employees, occupying medium group positions of the Headquarters, a one level higher rank may be conferred, compared to the rank, stipulated for the given position.
(Article 6-th is amended, edited on 14.12.04 RA Law-131-P)
Article 7. TERMS OF CONFERRING POLICE RANKS
1. For Police ranks the following terms are stipulated for service in Police ranks:
1) Junior ranks of Police:
- Police Junior Sergeant, 1 year,
- Police Sergeant, 2 years,
- Police Senior Sergeant, 3 years,
- Police Sergeant Major, 3 years,
- Police Warrant Officer, 4 years.
The term for the rank of senior Warrant officer of Police
2) Mid-ranks of Police:
- Police Junior Lieutenant, 1 year,
- Police Lieutenant, 2 year,
- Police Senior Lieutenant, 3 year,
- Police Captain, 3 years,
- Police Major, 4 year.
21) The senior ranks of Police:
- Police Lieutenant-Colonel, 5 years.
3) The high ranks of Police:
- Police Colonel.
For service as a Police Colonel and for highest rank officers of Police the terms are not stipulated.
The order for conferring the ranks of Police is defined by the Government of Armenia.
2. Citizens, who served in Police or other state authority and had a military or special rank, or a class in prosecution, when assigned to a position in Police, are conferred a respective Police rank, equal to their military or special rank, or prosecution class, or the rank in reserve.
Correspondence of military ranks, conferred in Armed Forces, National Security Authorities, ranks in Penitentiary System, Enforcement System of Court Rulings, class ranks in the Ministry of Justice, class degrees in the Public Prosecutor’s Office, as well as ranks in reserve, to the ranks of Police is defined by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
21. Correspondence of class degrees of civilian employees to the ranks in Police, as well as the order, terms and conditions of conferring, is defined by the Government of the Republic of Armenia.
22. Equivalence of class degrees and Police ranks is considered while assigning the civil servant to the positions, envisaged by Article 4 of the current Law, or assigning a Police employee to the positions, envisaged by Article 601, Part 2 of the current Law.
3. In case of a Police employee, having disciplinary penalty, being in the process of criminal prosecution or in case of the decision, envisaged by the Article 15, Part 11, Clause 5 of the current Law, conferring the next rank to the Police employee is postponed till the elimination of the aforementioned obstacles.
(Article 7 is edited, supplemented and amended on 14.12.04 RA Law-131-P, edited on 24.10.06 RA Law-169-P, supplemented on 06.12.07 RA Law-288-P, edited on 22.05.08 RA Law-45-P, amended on 08.12.11 RA Law-333-P).
Article 8. PERIOD OF SERVICE ESTIMATION, BASED ON POLICE RANKS
Period of service, based on Police ranking, is calculated from the next day of signing the decision for conferring the rank. When calculating the period for conferring the next rank, the period of service in the lowered rank is subtracted.
Article 9. RESTORATION OF THE LOWERED RANK OF POLICE EMPLOYEE
The lowered rank of Police employee can be restored based on the positive results of the conclusion of the internal investigation not later, than within 15 days after summarizing internal investigation results.
Article 10. HINDERING POLICE EMPLOYEE IN CONFERRING A RANK
Hindering a Police employee to be conferred a rank in compliance with the order and terms, stipulated by this Law, creates disciplinary liability.
RANKS OF POLICE
THE HIGHEST RANKS OF POLICE
POLICE COLONEL GENERAL
POLICE MAJOR GENERAL
HIGH RANKS OF POLICE
SENIOR RANKS OF POLICE
SENIOR POLICE LIEUTENANT
JUNIOR POLICE LIEUTENANT
JUNIOR RANKS OF POLICE
SENIOR POLICE WARRANT OFFICER
POLICE WARRANT OFFICER
SENIOR POLICE WARRANT OFFICER
SENIOR POLICE SERGEANT
JUNIOR POLICE SERGEANT